While using SafeDNS in the network with Active Directory, or local resources with non-public DNS records, you should consider that the SafeDNS service won't be able to resolve such local DNS records. It means that by default you will have no access to any resources/hosts in the non-public DNS and AD resources. It's a common issue when you're working with any public DNS service, like ours.
To make SafeDNS work correctly in such environment and provide access to all local and AD resources we offer 2 typical scenarios:
- Installation of special version of SafeDNS Agent
- Manual setting of AD PDC and aliases for local resources
Installation of the Special Version of SafeDNS Agent
We have a special version of the SafeDNS Agent, which can be used in the AD networks and networks with any local non-public DNS records. Generally, it's the same version of Agent with the same features available for direct download in the dashboard. The only difference is that it works not with the SafeDNS servers directly, but with your local DNS server, or AD server. Therefore, all non-public DNS/AD resources will be available by default, without any additional action.
Manual Setting of AD PDC and Aliases for Local Resources
Another way to gain access to AD resources is to use special options available in Office/Enterprise plans.
1. To activate this option, you should enter Dashboard -> Settings -> Active Directory.
2. Then you should add the name of the AD domain in the form.
3. Then you should enter the name of the PDC (Primary Domain Controller, for the domain and its IP address in the local network.
4. Add slave domain controllers and set primary domain controller as the PDC. You can set another controller as PDC, by pressing the button 'Make PDC'.
5. When you enter all domain controllers in the form, you should set aliases for all the needed local resources. It can be done in the Aliases field in the Domains menu. You should enter the name of a local resource and its local IP address.
6. When you add all resources to Aliases field, these settings will be saved, and in 2-5 minutes all resources will be available for access.